Longer forcing cone FACTS ? - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Longer forcing cone FACTS ?

This is a discussion on Longer forcing cone FACTS ? within the Bird Hunting Forum forums, part of the Hunting category; Can someone point me to some unbiased, scientific testing that shows a lengthened forcing cone improves patterns?...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Hunting > Bird Hunting Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2019, 01:32 AM   #1

Member #12777
Longer forcing cone FACTS ?

Can someone point me to some unbiased, scientific testing that shows a lengthened forcing cone improves patterns?
tonyman#6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-06-2019, 05:00 AM   #2

Member #4993
Originally Posted by tonyman#6 View Post
Can someone point me to some unbiased, scientific testing that shows a lengthened forcing cone improves patterns?
Hard to do. Lengthened cones reduce felt recoil by reducing the "back pressure" on the wad and shot as it leaves the chamber, back boring increases choke restrictions. Both can help or kill a pattern depending on the individual gun and ammo used. That said, most folks use forcing cone adjustment to reduce felt recoil, not improve patterns. The forcing cone is directly in front of the chamber, the wad and shot have a long way to go and are affected by lots of other factors, like nominal bore diameter, choke restrictions, length of choke cone, etc. Too much happens after the forcing cone for it to be a major playmaker in patterns.

"the loudest sound in the world is a click when you expect a bang, or a bang when you expect a click"
Old 04-07-2019, 09:18 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Member #148
i fell for the myth 25 years ago. found no improvement. i leave my cones alone now.
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
RKB

Member #2031
If any such scientific testing exists, I've not seen it or heard about it in 40+ years playing with shotguns. Rumor, innuendo, speculation, and outright BS exist by the shipload - but no proof of anything. I also do not buy that line if thinking. The forcing cone has one purpose and that is to ease the transition from chamber to bore and in the age of plastic wads and hulls it has less affect on that. As stated above, it can have a noticeable affect on felt recoil but that's about it.
Mad Murdock likes this.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote