New Montefeltro-How to Prep for First Use? - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

New Montefeltro-How to Prep for First Use?

This is a discussion on New Montefeltro-How to Prep for First Use? within the Benelli Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; I just picked up a beautiful a 12 gauge Montefeltro (26"). I'm a new long gun owner and will be shooting some clays this week ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Benelli Shotgun Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By desmobob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2020, 12:14 PM   #1

Member #18394
Question New Montefeltro-How to Prep for First Use?

I just picked up a beautiful a 12 gauge Montefeltro (26"). I'm a new long gun owner and will be shooting some clays this week for the first use this gun.

How should I prep this gun before I fire the first shell through it? Does the barrel need to be cleaned of manufacturing oils or coatings? Any other special treatments needed before I start using it?

Looking for best practices here.

Thanks in advance

11/6/20 Update:

Made it to the Sporting Clays Park yesterday. Shot over 100 clays. The Montefeltro operation is smooth and flawless. It cleaned up nicely afterwards too.

JP

Last edited by johnp77777; 11-06-2020 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Update
johnp77777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-02-2020, 01:16 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Welcome from Florida!
If this is a brand new gun, your owner's manual should state what needs to be done and how to properly lube the gun.
But yes, in general, new guns need to be cleaned and relubed to remove and rust preservative/preventative applied at the factory
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:05 AM   #3

Member #18394
The manual is no help at all. I did find some YouTube videos on disassembly and cleaning which will be very helpful. For now, I cleaned the barrel and wiped down the parts before assembling.
johnp77777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2020, 08:53 PM   #4

Member #9178
Originally Posted by johnp77777 View Post
The manual is no help at all. I did find some YouTube videos on disassembly and cleaning which will be very helpful. For now, I cleaned the barrel and wiped down the parts before assembling.
Personally I would go through the entire cleaning process that you have viewed on YouTube before taking it to the range.... That being said what you have done will probably be Okay... Just keep it cleaned and properly lubed and enjoy it.
Old 11-06-2020, 04:09 PM   #5

Member #17938
Part of the beauty of the inertia action is how clean it stays. You could probably shoot your Montefeltro on a dozen trips to the clays field before you would need to clean anything more than the barrel.

Not that I would recommend it... I give my Montefeltro and other shotguns a complete clean and lube when I return from the club. It's not necessary, but part of the whole routine for me.
one eyed shooter likes this.
desmobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:08 PM   #6

Member #9178
Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
Part of the beauty of the inertia action is how clean it stays. You could probably shoot your Montefeltro on a dozen trips to the clays field before you would need to clean anything more than the barrel.

Not that I would recommend it... I give my Montefeltro and other shotguns a complete clean and lube when I return from the club. It's not necessary, but part of the whole routine for me.
I agree with you on the cleaning after each outing. There just seems to be some relaxing feeling when you clean your guns