Baker Batavia Restoration - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Baker Batavia Restoration

This is a discussion on Baker Batavia Restoration within the All Other Models forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; Greetings All, Hoping to find someone that has experience with restoring old sxs shotguns. I'm working on Baker Batavia Leader 16g, SN: 5504F. Interesting history ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > All Other Models

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2020, 02:30 PM   #1

Member #17864
Baker Batavia Restoration

Greetings All,

Hoping to find someone that has experience with restoring old sxs shotguns.
I'm working on Baker Batavia Leader 16g, SN: 5504F. Interesting history if you care to look it up. Anyway, i've exhausted google to death on finding a way to get this thing back together.

It's really just the top level spring that is my issue. its a coil not a leaf spring and requires so much compression, i don't think its humanly possible to push in the spring, the pin that rides on it and swing the top lever dog back into place without some sort of mechanical jig. yet i can't figure it out.

if anyone has experience with this please let me know.

Respectfully
David
Ranch565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-22-2020, 08:03 PM   #2

Member #16956
Hi there
I currently have the LC Smith project going on the High End and Specialty forum; however I also have a Baker Batavia Special receiver on deck in the not to terribly distant future. I am missing the top lever assembly in it's entirety, but I will pull the Batavia box down and look around online this weekend to see what i can find out. Hang in there on these old guns, they aren't making any more of them.
4575wcf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:01 AM   #3

Member #16956
Make sure the hammers are cocked before attempting the assembly. If they are not, cock them with a screwdriver or punch.

Old 07-30-2020, 05:32 PM   #4

Member #17864
I may need to make some sort of compression tool. I’m trying to get that spring with it’s pin on top pushed into that .7 deep orifice. Then the action level will be holding it in place. Can’t seem to apply enough pressure to get the spring and pin all the way in.
Attached Thumbnails
Baker Batavia Restoration-8f1b5b18-c770-4b61-a933-1758e71e1752_1596151810893.jpg  
Ranch565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:25 PM   #5

Member #16956
Okay, so what I am seeing here is the coil top lever trip return spring in its seat-Picture #1? The trip block Picture #2 goes on next, and the top lever post Picture #3 holds the whole works in? I am using the GunPartsCorp parts pictures. What is the pin sticking out directly under the coil spring? Numrich pictures a normal leaf style v spring to power the top lever Picture #4.
Attached Thumbnails
Baker Batavia Restoration-1003790.jpg   Baker Batavia Restoration-1011850.jpg   Baker Batavia Restoration-1003750.jpg   Baker Batavia Restoration-1003770.jpg  

Last edited by 4575wcf; 07-31-2020 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:26 PM   #6

Member #16956
Baker Batavia Special /circa 1915

Hello
Here is posted a picture of my Batavia Special as viewed from the bottom looking up into the top snap recess. Notice the cutout for the typical v flat top snap return spring. Your gun seems to be fitted with a plunger and coil spring return. Apparently the shotgun was offered both ways we are gonna have to try and scare up an experienced Baker guy on this one I fear.
Attached Thumbnails
Baker Batavia Restoration-dsc03506.jpg  
Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM   #7

Member #16956
Okay, found it. The later Baker Batavia Leader guns produced under ownership by the Folsom Arms Company used a coil spring top lever return. I cannot find any reference to a plunger , most questions involve a battered end on the coil spring, the fix is to turn the spring around. This would suggest the spring acts directly on the top snap block. With coil springs, a spring is a spring. You could shop around and find a slightly lighter spring that has the correct diameter and enough length to power the top lever. All you need is enough tension to close the lever reliably. My LC Smith trip return spring came from Ace Hardware, by the way. Hope this helps. Your Serial number 5504F should have clued me F is for Folsom manufacture, that info was tucked away somewhere in the recesses of my memory. I must be getting old. The records of production under Folsom do not exist, but your number is low, probably first years 1919 or 1920. The guns were modeled after the Batavia Special, and fitted with good steel barrels, so no worries there.

Last edited by 4575wcf; Yesterday at 05:41 PM.