slugs for my gun? - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

slugs for my gun?

This is a discussion on slugs for my gun? within the Akdal Arms Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; I ended up selling my old maverick 88 pump action 20 gauge and picked up one of these MKA1919's i'm curious what the answer is ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Akdal Arms Shotgun Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #1

Member #777
Question slugs for my gun?

I ended up selling my old maverick 88 pump action 20 gauge and picked up one of these MKA1919's i'm curious what the answer is as far as slugs that won't lead up my piston, the obvious answer to this in semi-auto gas-operated rifles as far as cast lead bullets goes is lubricant, but what about shotguns?

with such a long sight radius for this gun i'd imagine it would be perfect for throwing large chunks of lead at various objects, and paper.

my simplified questions is:
is there a slug that'll work for my gun that won't require a wire brush,
lead remover, and 30 minutes of cussing and a night of soaking to remove lead from my gas system?

any insight would be greatly appreciated

side note- thanks T&N For the aluminum feed ramp
Old 12-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #2

Member #1248
First let me state I have never fired a slug down a smooth-bore S/G.
From everything I have read and seen a S/G slug is about the same as a shot load, encased in the same type of wad as a shot. Neither should produce any lead fouling of the barrel.
I suspect you will find no significant difference cleaning a S/G for slugs or shot.
LoFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Member #1368
No one can answer your query except YOU. That means getting a plethora of different types suited for a smoothbore and trying them in YOUR gun at the distances YOU will be seeing to determine whether they will work or not in YOUR gun.

Now after all that, please DO share your data and what you found, but realize, even if I had the same gun as you, MY results can be totally different than what your gun does
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #4

Member #777
being that the gas system is similar to browning automatic shotguns, it seems to be a similar approach, but i'll see what i can figure out!