Shotgun Forums banner

Sporting Clay Shotgun Under 1,200

9K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  SnapCap 
#1 ·
Hi,

Want to buy a sporting clay's shotgun for at or under the 1,200 dollar mark. I know alot about handguns, but not alot about good shotguns. I don't turn my nose up at anything used, old, new, foreign or domestic. I don't care if it is 500 bucks or 1,000; just want to know what you would buy if you had the same decision and budget.

Best,

Puppies.

#2 ·
Used should get you a very nice Browning Gti (I know, I own one and was thinking of selling so i did some checking). There are some decent semis in that range as well.

One caveat - since this is for sporting clays, get a target model of whatever brand and type you decide on as these were made to be shot a lot and are typically a pound or more heavier than the field versions - weight is your friend for target shooting a lot of ammo.

If you have a sporting clays or similar club near you, go there, explain your newbiness and see if they have a variety of guns you can try out whether by renting, borrowing, etc. Bring a flat of good quality target ammo and , if borrowing, give the gun owner a box as a thanks for letting you use his gun

#5 ·
A decent target O/U in that range will most likely be used, but there are plenty of good ones that will have plenty of life left in them from the likes of Browning, Beretta and SKB -to name a few. Very nice semis are now well over $1K new but used should be well within your budget. Target versions from Beretta, Winchester, Remington, among others will be worth considering.

#13 ·
I've only had my Maxus for a few short weeks and only have about 150 rounds through it, but I really like it so far. I really went back and forth between it and the Ethos. IMO, the Ethos didn't offer anything additional to justify the additional cost. Both feel great in the hands, though!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Sorry John, while I admire your cause and purpose, 3,000 is NOT a lot for a target gun.

I have been using my A400 for right at a year now, and it has almost 12,000 through it. My O/U of 20+ years has right at 300,000

Your guns should be good to go for 5-10K before any spring changes

#11 ·
I waited to see "which way the wind was blowing" before I opened my mouth on the subject, as usual, the blog is delivering what I consider sound advice.
First and foremost is all shooters bodies are not the same and that means everyone's center of gravity is different along with the ability to absorb recoil. Really big guys can handle 3 1/2 " magnums that flatten lighter guys like myself, so pick a S/G that your body can handle effortlessly. This reduces the shooters fatigue and improves performance.
Once you get an idea on the best weight, balance, maneuverability and recoil characteristics that work for your self you can move on to selection of an S/G that works best with your body and finances.
The only other advice I can give is you can't go wrong purchasing one of the three "B"'s. Browning, Beretta and Benelli.
Try before you buy!

#15 ·
funny to see most people shy away from used guns, yet some of the best guns are old guns.

classic consumerizum...to think new is better.

i guess every generation must learn it over and over again.

#18 ·
I would have gone for a quality used gun but the Golden State is going to make us use steel (or non toxic) shot for hunting.
Fortunately not for clay targets (yet) so my dedicated trap gun is a classic Beretta Mark II Trap which I got used. I would have loved to have picked up the double barrel version for hunting, but....:mad:
My son will get the Mark II when my time comes.

#16 ·
1 OZ, I love the A400 and it was my choice all the way till I realized the gas-operation was going to be a pain to clean, and I dislike cleaning guns. With that in mind and the cash available it made sense to pay 300 bucks more for a gun easier to clean over its expected lifetime. The A400 has the advantage of less recoil than the Benelli Ethos and although Benelli incorporated a recoil-reduction in the stock it doesn't seem to do much for lighter loads, which is all I shoot.

:)

#17 ·
Mine isn't a pain at all - spray some brake cleaner down the barrel and run a few patches; spray the piston and wipe it clean; spritz some Remoil and good to go. I have two A400s - the Xplor Unico (green 3.5" field gun) and the Xcel (blue smurf gun). BOTH handle my 3/4oz 1210 fps reloads with zero issues - which is why I bought them

#19 ·
Thanks for the info. I admit I would welcome a lighter recoil 12 with the same characteristics, that said I find the Chaos(Ethos) more than satisfactory for the present. Undoubtedly S/G manufacturers will introduce new, improved products over the next years.
I am going to stick with what works for me until I discover a clearly superior product.
This could take awhile....

#24 ·
any rem 1100 with rem chokes
win sxm1 mod choke bbl
win model 50 28" vr mod
rem 3200 m/f field grade 28"vr
skb o&u
weatherby athena o&u
browning citori w/ inv chokes

list goes on.......

#28 ·
Two questions, How often do you shoot clays or intend to?
If you don't shoot much its difficult to justify an expensive S/G to your wife.
However if your laying out 1500 bucks a year for S/G ammo then buy a quality S/G that fits you.
1200 is around the price-point that takes you beyond cheap auto S/G's.
Find the extra 300 bucks for the A400.
You want regret it.

#29 ·
Old post but check out the new SKB's in this price range, quality guns with a great warranty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.