Shotgun Forums banner

Mossberg 835, 535, and 500 differences?

3K views 6 replies 1 participant last post by  ShotgunPro 
#1 ·
I'm looking at buying a Mossberg Tactical Turkey gun and I am just wondering if someone could tell me the differnces between the 3 versions....I know it seems like a pretty easy question to figure out for myself, but they all seem to be so similar that I am having a hard time figuring it out seeing as I am going to be new to the Mossberg family.

Thank you!

-Nick T

#3 ·
I have been hunting turkey for several years with the 835. Its a truly awesome gun and I have killed many turkeys with it. Biggest difference in at and the 500 is the 835 is chambered for 3-1/2 magnum loads where as the 500 is only for 3 inch. You will definatly want the 3-1/2 capability for those tough turkeys that hang up 60 yards out. The 835 is also has an overbored barrel to handle todays "heavy" loads. And i think the newer models are even ported to help with recoil. Which is a good thing because when you pull the trigger on one with a 3-1/2 magnum turkey load in it you are gonna know it!! They kick like a mule. Dont know alot about the 535 other than its suppose to have taken things from both the 500 and 835 and merged them together. So you might want to take a hard look at it and compare with the 835. I wouldnt even look at the 500 though for turkey hunting because it dont have the 3-1/2 capability. Just my .02!

#5 ·
If I were you, I would find someone with an 835 and ask to shoot it. Lots of other guns that shoot 3 1/2" shells that don't punish you like an 835.
But for an inexpensive pump that throws a killer pattern (talking jelly-head) its great. You wont find a pump that punishes you any less. As long as you go with a synthetic short barrel at least. I have an 870 synthetic with a 24" tube that rocks you. A simms recoil pad did tame her down a bit...but you only feel it shooting at a target. And for me, thats once a year. If you cant take one shot you shouldnt be shooting it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.